Although vehicle theft has declined in recent decades, there’s a widely-recognised rise in tool theft from vehicles in the UK – which shows no signs of slowing down.
In just two years, tool theft from vans has increased by 54%, and it’s estimated that in the UK a van is broken into every 23 minutes.
Specialist building services insurer ECIC states last year that the average claim for tool theft was £2,685, but in reality, the true cost of the crime can be far greater.
Businesses and individual tradespeople can lose huge amounts of money when they are victim to tool theft – not only incurring direct costs in replacing valuable tools and increased insurance premiums, but particularly in the case of small businesses or small traders, work could be at a standstill for days or weeks as their van could be out of action, and they wait for tools to be replaced.
When a tradesperson is unable to work, there is also a potential knock-on effect for revenue and business growth in the form of lost contracts or impaired customer relationships. If work has to be canceled or curtailed at the last minute, reputation can be affected if this also results in negative word-of-mouth feedback or bad reviews online.
Stress and mental health ramifications, particularly for sole traders or business owners who are repeated victims of van break-ins can also result in lost productivity and time off work.
With so much potential for lost revenue, lost productivity, and the far-reaching consequences of tool theft, it really is one of the lowest forms of crime to damage someone’s livelihood.
Investing in an L4V deadlock for your van is possibly the single most important business decision you will ever make!
At SubZero we work closely with a leading manufacturer of Automotive Locking Systems. The Van Security locking system that we highly recommend is the L4V deadlock.
The L4V Deadlock is a mechanical deadlock operating independently from the manufacturers’ locking system. It is very similar to the L4V Hook Lock however this lock engages a ‘straight bolt’ (20mm-50mm) into its opposing body section. Operated by its high-security external key under full control of the driver. Suitable for owner-drivers or applications where the driver can be relied upon to operate the lock.
The L4V Deadlock is recommended for use on the vehicle’s cab doors. We may suggest this as an alternative to an L4V Hook Lock where necessary.
How does it work?
The L4V Hook Lock is a mechanical deadlock operating independently from the manufacturers’ locking system. A deadlocking hook bolt engages in its opposing body section. Operated by its high-security external key under full control of the driver. Suitable for owner-drivers or applications where the driver can be relied upon to operate the lock.
- Designed and manufactured exclusively to meet the demanding requirements of commercial vehicle security
- The lock case has a compact footprint permitting several fitting positions
- 60% less metal is removed from the structural part of the door during installation compared to other hook lock cases, resulting in the most effective security
- Black lock case gasket supplied as standard
- Lock kits are vehicle specific and contain all the required fixings, fittings and instructions to enable a technician to perform a professional installation
- L4V cylinders, housings, and plugs are plated in highly durable satin nickel to maintain a long-lasting appearance and consistent performance
- L4V black nylon external barrel trims supplied as standard to maintain the aesthetic appearance of the vehicle
- Satin nickel-plated brass barrel trims, oversized black barrel trims, and angled black barrel trims are also available
- Kits available in T-Series and S-Series key systems
- We supply each kit with 3 keys
Over 20 years of experience in the industry
We pride ourselves on the excellent customer service that we provide for every project we undertake
Unit 3/4 Learoyd Road
New Romney, Kent, TN28 8XU
Company House No: 9589057
Mobile Vehicle Solutions
We invest in the latest specialist tools and equipment to carry out work on Air Conditioning , Heating Systems, Split Charging, Solar Panels and Van Security.